“I haven’t lost the enthusiasm of youth, but it no longer shows on my face. I’m tired of looking tired. I want to run to the first doctor who offers Botox near me, but I have concerns. Are Botox injections dangerous? Am I a good candidate? Who can I trust?”
If you are asking these questions, you’ve come to the right place! Washington Dermatology Consultants has the answers – and the high-quality care – that you need. With two convenient locations in Arlington and Stafford, we are sure to have an office near you.
Safety and side effects
The most important factor determining the safety of Botox treatment, as well as the quality of results, is the skill of the injector. You might find some providers that aren’t dermatology practices, and some that aren’t even doctor’s offices, offering Botox. However, they lack the extensive safety and aesthetic training of a board-certified dermatologist such as Dr. Neal.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology:
- You should see a dermatologist if considering Botox.
- Millions of Botox treatments are performed every year. No serious side effects have ever been reported from Botox administered by a dermatologist!
- Side effects, if any, are generally temporary and mild.
How Botox works
Botox is used to relax muscles. However, it is not classified as a muscle relaxer. In fact, it does not have any direct effect on muscles. Instead, Botox is a neurotoxin, which means that it acts on the nervous system. Specifically, it works to slow or stop signals from the nerves that control muscles.
In aesthetic treatment, the injections are used in areas where rigid muscles tend to cause wrinkles and fine lines. This includes:
- Fine lines radiating from the corners of the eyes (crow’s feet)
- Vertical lines between the brows (11s)
- Superficial wrinkles and lines on the neck
- Many other innovative treatments, such as softening the appearance of an angular jaw
By relaxing and softening the muscle, it allows the overlying skin to lie smooth. It does not affect the nerves associated with sensation, so you should not feel numb after treatment.
The degree of muscle relaxation corelates to the amount of Botox used, which explains why different providers achieve vastly different results. If you’ve ever seen someone with a frozen, expressionless face after Botox treatment, you know that person chose an under-skilled provider who used too large of a dose. Alternately, a Botox patient who sees little to no difference after treatment likely received an inadequate dosage.
Here at Washington Dermatology Consultants, Botox is only administered by qualified medical professionals, who are specifically trained and experienced in this procedure. We begin with an analysis of your skin, and determine which wrinkles are caused by muscular contraction. We then determine the ideal dosage and precise injection locations to gently smooth away wrinkles, with a natural looking appearance.
Is Botox right for you
If you are noticing crinkles at the corners of your eyes when you laugh, or fine lines on your brow when you squint, then it’s time to talk to your doctor about Botox. You don’t need to wait until permanent creases form! It not only treats wrinkles and fine lines, but also helps prevent them from forming.
The benefits of Botox include:
- Lessens or eliminates lines and wrinkles, especially in the eye area
- You can return to normal activity the same day with no downtime
- Results develop within a few days to a week, and typically last three to four months
- Maintain your newfound youthfulness with simple touch-up treatments, usually about four times per year
- Botox can be combined with laser therapy, dermal fillers, or other cosmetic procedures for a comprehensive anti-aging treatment plan
The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for Botox is to visit Washington Dermatology Consultants for a consultation. We will discuss your treatment goals, perform an aesthetic evaluation, and explain the various options to achieve those goals. You are encouraged to voice any questions or concerns that you may have. We work with you to develop the ideal plan, designed just for you.
Here at Washington Dermatology Consultants, we approach anti-aging treatments as both an art and a science, with treatment options personalized to your needs! If the time has come for you to turn back the clock, give us a call at 571-431-6175 and schedule your appointment.