Washington Dermatology Consultants is in Arlington, VA, and serves communities throughout the region. We take pride in providing a wide array of antiaging solutions, including lip rejuvenation.
Restylane is a popular brand of dermal filler, which may be used to reduce wrinkles, enhance facial contours, or augment lips. It is a smooth gel, formulated with hyaluronic acid, which is a natural component of skin. When injected, Restylane replenishes skin’s natural volume, helping restore its smooth, youthful appearance.
Growing younger with Restylane
The size and shape of lips significantly impact the overall appearance of your face. They affect proportion, symmetry, and – most of all – define your smile. With time, skin loses its natural plumpness, due to dehydration, thinning of the fatty layer, and other factors. These effects are especially noticeable around the mouth, with lips losing definition of subtle contours. Due to frequent movement on the mouth, fine lines and wrinkles often become quite pronounced.
Dermal filler treatment is an excellent way to replace lost volume, reversing these common signs of aging. Restylane may be used to restore natural plumpness, smooth away lines at the edges of the lips, and fill in other wrinkles or facial folds.
Achieving your “perfect pout”
Sometimes, lip augmentation isn’t just about restoring your natural fulness. An ever-growing number of patients inquire about enhancing and improving their natural lips. In some cases, genetics and facial structure may leave a person with thin lips, even before age related volume loss begins. Additionally, big, bold, voluptuous lips are a hot trend among celebrities and on the street.
Many people love the look of big lips – but they might not want to endure surgery or commit to permeant augmentation with traditional implants. Dermal fillers such as Restylane are medically classified as injectable implants, and they serve the same purpose, but do so without downtime or a permanent commitment. You can maintain the results of dermal fillers with occasional touch-ups, or you can discontinue treatment at any time, and the product will gradually fade away.
Five things to know about Restylane injections
- Restylane is hyaluronic acid based – Hyaluronic acid, or HA as it is known, is a naturally occurring substance found throughout the body. It helps hydrate skin, lubricate joints, and more. Over time, the natural production of HA, like many other compounds in the skin, slows. Fillers such as Restylane are formulated with non-animal sourced HA, which is identical to that in the human body. Therefore, allergy testing is generally not needed.
- The procedure takes just minutes – Restylane injections are fast and gentle. In fact, some patients come in for treatment during lunch hour. They can return to work right away, because this procedure requires no downtime.
- Side effects are minimal – You might experience some short-term redness, bruising, swelling, or tenderness at the injection site. These effects are short-lived and typically fade in a matter of hours or days. You can use cosmetics to camouflage any visible effects, though you will need be careful to avoid applying significant pressure or massaging the area for a few days.
- The results are temporary, yet long-lasting – Restylane injections can last for many months, and touch-up appointments take just minutes. Therefore, it is the ideal “get it and forget it” antiaging solution. Yet, the results are not permanent, so you won’t need to worry about regretting your decision later. If you decide to return to your natural lips, simply discontinue use. If you are in a hurry, there is even the option of hyaluronidase, which dissolves HA fillers.
- Restylane can be used alone, or as an adjunct to other treatments – Your lips may be your only cosmetic concern, if so, Restylane may be the only treatment needed. However, you might also want to correct sunken cheeks, sagging jowls, frown lines, crow’s feet, and other signs of aging. In this case, you will be happy to know that Restyle can be used along with other types of dermal filler, Botox, and other cosmetic procedures – often in the same appointment.