While it is perfectly normal to experience hair falling out every day, there is a point when it becomes excessive and may be a sign of a more serious concern. Hair loss is a common problem for both men and women and can be addressed with a proper diagnosis and treatment by a board certified dermatologist.
A dermatologist can examine the areas of hair loss and ask questions regarding medical history to determine the primary cause of hair reduction and provide an effective treatment option. Some of the reasons patients may lose their hair include:
- Cicatricial alopecia – scarring that blocks hair follicles
- Medical health concerns such as malnutrition or vitamin deficiency
- Increased stress levels – typically causes temporary hair loss
- Disease or other medical conditions
- Alopecia areata – autoimmune disease
- Genetics – male and female pattern baldness
- Hormonal changes (pregnancy, menopause, and medications)
- Hair products (gels, barrettes, and chemicals)
Determining the reason for the hair loss can help Stafford area dermatologists figure out the proper form of treatment. If the reason for the hair falling out is stress, relaxation techniques may reduce stress levels and maintain the hair. If medication is the issue, patients can talk to their doctor about making changes to their pharmaceuticals to eliminate the problem. Hormones may cause temporary hair loss and not be as serious of a concern.
Treatment options may include topical or oral medications, hair transplant surgery, or laser therapy, depending on the severity of the hair loss and whether or not it is permanent or temporary. This is determined during the initial evaluation and diagnosis to help patients choose the most appropriate method of treatment.
Patients in and around the areas of Arlington and Stafford are welcome to our practice to learn more about hair loss and ways of combating it. We work with our patients to provide thorough evaluations and develop a treatment plan that works with their specific needs